- Room-temperature butter and flour for preparing pan
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, hazelnut oil, or walnut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped, drained pineapple
- 1 cup finely grated carrot (from about 1 large carrot)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-by-5-inch or 4 1/2-by-8 1/2-inch loaf pan. Coat the pan with flour, tapping out the excess. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt, and then sift them into a second bowl to make sure the spices are well combined. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and eggs until blended, and then stir the egg mixture into the flour with a rubber spatula. Fold in the walnuts, pineapple, and grated carrot. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool until easy to handle, and turn out onto a cake rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, beat on medium speed until well combined and fluffy, about 10 minutes or until smooth. Spread the frosting on the top of the loaf.